SETTLING IN TO SCHOOL
On the first day of school, students are provided with their timetable / class schedule.
In Junior School, students will also receive a Communication Book where all Home Learning assignments are recorded and messages between home and school can be written.
In Senior School, students have a Student Planner which they use to plan their work.
A good way to connect with other new parents or members of our Shrewsbury Parents Association (S.P.) is to join our New Parents Coffee Morning held in the beginning of each term. We will also introduce different departments such us Library, Music and Sports & Activities.
Another great opportunity to make new friends and learn about new cultures is to get involved in school events organised by S.P. There are many different activities (e.g. Chinese New Year, Songkran etc.) throughout the year where you can volunteer and get to know other parents who may have the same interests as you. You will always be welcome.
For more information and the detailed list of what is required prior to starting school, please refer to the Parent Handbook.
MOVING TO BANGKOK
Moving to a new country can be a challenge and you will probably have lots of questions. If you need any help or have any questions regarding settling down to life in Bangkok please do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Team, they will be happy to assist you.
A good resource for example is the website Bangkok.com, providing information and recommendations about restaurants, areas of interest, activities etc. On that website for example you will also find information about Bangkok’s very good network of international hospitals as well as get an overview about Bangkok’s transportation system.
If you are looking for networking groups outside of school then you might be interested in joining one of the many women’s groups or charity organisations in Bangkok. Most of these groups or organisations are involved in a wide variety of activities such as sports, charitable and social welfare work, numerous social activities and outings, travel and more.
In addition to social groups there are many community sports and family activities to choose from in and around Bangkok.
We can only list a few groups and organisations. For more information we highly recommend the ANZWG Bangkok Guide published by the Australian-New Zealand Women’s Group. This essential guide to living in Bangkok offers everything you have to know about this vibrant city. The guide is available in major book stores and also for sale during our New Parent Coffee Morning in Term 1. For more information about the Bangkok Guide please click here . test
- Women groups
- General networking, cultural or support groups
- Sports and Recreation
- International Arts & Films
- Websites for events, art and restaurants
- Health Care
- Housing and Relocation
British Women’s Group
American Women’s Club of Thailand
Australian-New Zealand Women’s Group
Danish Women’s Network
Drehscheibe German Speaking Women's Group of Thailand
International Women’s Club of Thailand
You can also contact your Embassy for details of social events if you come from a smaller country where there is not a specific "Women's Group". For example the Royal Norwegian Embassy hosts at the Residence of the Norwegian Ambassador a children's Christmas party and the 17 May National Day Party; or the Dutch Ambassador hosts the Sinterklaas party and the Kings Day party.
- Club Canada Thailand
- CCT is a social and philanthropic group committed to raising funds for local charities, to providing opportunities for Canadians to meet one another and to fostering positive Thai-Canadian relationships.
- Bangkok Accueil
- Open to all French speaking families.
- Bangkok Community Theater
- www.bangkokcommunitytheatre.com, email: email@example.com
- BCT is a voluntary, non-profit organisation of many nationalities who work together to produce English language plays for the local community.
- Bangkok Babies and Mothers International
- www.bambiweb.org, tel. 02 319 9530, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BAMBI is a non-profit organisation run by volunteer mothers to support pregnant women and parents of young children (birth – five years) of all nationalities.
- Dante Alighieri Society-Bangkok
- The Dante Alighieri Bangkok is an independent, non-for-profit organisation promoting the appreciation and diffusion of the Italian language and culture.
- Monthly networking events for Bangkok expats.
- Bangkok Network for Professionals
- www.bnow.org, email: email@example.com
- BNOW provides a supportive network to professionals living and working in Bangkok.
- Meetup is the world's largest network of local groups. Meetup makes it easy for anyone to find a like-minded group or organise a local group.
- Bangkok Soccer League
- The season runs October to March. The league is open to boys and girls aged 4-19 who attend international schools. Games and training are held on Saturday mornings on school campus of Bangkok Patana School.
- Bangkok Rugby Lions
- The season runs from April to July, with playing and training for students aged 4-18. Weekly coaching clinics held on Saturday mornings at Bangkok Patana School including players from the British Club and The Southerners.
- Bangkok International Softball League
- The slo-pitch softball league runs from August until May each year.
- Bangkok Basketball League
- The season for students (BJBL) aged 5-16 years from many international schools runs from late January until mid June.
- Bangkok Cricket League
- It is the largest league in Thailand and is co-ordinated and run by the teams themselves.
- The Bangkok Art & Culture Centre: art festivals, exhibitions, music, film and theatre
- The Neilson Hays Library: exhibitions for international artists and authors
- The Japan Foundations: art and cultural events, Japanese films every Friday
- Alliance Française: French art and photography exhibitions, French films every Wednesday
- Goethe Institute: Concerts, German open air movie nights December to February
- House RCA cinema: art house and indie films from all over the world
If you would like to know what is going on in the city please check out the links below:
- BK Magazine: www.bk.asia-city.com
- 101 Magazine: www.bangkok101.com
- Craft Fair: www.thaicraft.org
- Bangkok One Place: https://bangkok.oneplace.events
- Art: www.facebook.com/bangkokartmap
- BKK Kids: http://www.bkkkids.com (online directory focusing on children)
Local newspapers or the weekly BK magazine (available for free at coffee shops) are also a valuable source for updated information on theatre, concerts, music, sports and so on.
- Bumrungrad Hospital https://www.bumrungrad.com/
- Centrally located in the heart of Bangkok, Bumrungrad International is one of Thailand's premier hospitals, a center of excellence in specialty medicine, and a world leader in medical tourism. It offers its patients one-stop medical care in Asia's first and Thailand's only JClA (Joint Commission International Accreditation) accredited hospital.
- Samitivej Hospital https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/
- The main hospital, Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital located on Sukhumvit Soi 49, is recognized as one of the leading private hospitals in Southeast Asia. With a comprehensive range of medical technology, complemented by a team of highly qualified specialists and experienced caregivers, Samitivej Sukhumvit has long been the hospital of choice for the population of Bangkok.
- BNH Hospital https://www.bnhhospital.com/
- BNH (Bangkok Nursing Home Hospital) is a modern 120-bed hospital operating to international standards. It provides service in both inpatient and outpatient departments, with physicians in every field of medicine available on a 24 hours basis.BNH Hospital is a first-class international medical institution, with some of the most sophisticated and up-to-date facilities in Thailand. Its 104 years of serving both Thai and expatriate communities are further enhanced by a reputation and lasting tradition of service excellence.
Many relocation companies often offer home search and orientations programmes as part of their service, so if you are relocating within Bangkok here are a few companies that may be able to assist: