Project 2021 nears completion
Shrewsbury is committed to remaining at the forefront of international education. We understand that our commitment to recruiting the finest teachers must be matched by a commitment to equip them with the tools they need to deliver the best outcomes for our students.
Alongside an extensive maintenance programme, our masterplan framework delivers a continuous programme of major strategic projects that enhance the school's teaching and learning provision, school operations and the welfare of our community.
In August 2021, Shrewsbury Riverside will complete "Project 2021"; an ambitious 4-year, 1.1 billion THB construction project which comprises a new 17,000sqm Senior School Building and Sports Performance Complex.
The new Senior Building will provide a new home for Mathematics, Science, Robotics, Innovation and Sixth Form and Higher Education counselling, as well as a new dining facility. Both new buildings will in turn facilitate the refurbishment of the existing Senior School and Sports hall; part of the school's ongoing capital development programme.
The project is built on the former footprint a surface car park, which has now been replaced by 3 storey underground parking facility to serve our 43 rai Riverside Campus.
- 17,000sqm, 6 Storeys
- 18 Science Labs: 6 Chemistry, 6 Biology, 6 Physics with top specification furniture by S&B Labs. Avge 120sqm.
- 16 Mathematics Classrooms
- Innovation and Robotics centres
- 4 Computing Labs
- 4,000sqm Sixth Form and Higher Education Centre
- 700+ Seat Dining Hall
The new Senior School building - which will connect with the existing Senior School via an elevated walkway - brings together the hugely popular and successful STEM subjects in a purpose-designed and future-proofed space. 16 Mathematics classrooms are dedicated to Shrewsbury's most popular iGCSE and A level examination subject, whilst 18 science labs will be equipped with high specification furniture from S+B; one of the UK's leading specialist in the design, manufacture and installation of innovative furniture systems for Laboratory & Educational environments.
The design of the new Senior Building was informed by best practice examples from top UK and US college, university and independent school environments. The process was conducted in collaboration with alumni, current students, teacher and parent stakeholders, and collaborative working is a central theme of the resulting facilities.
On its ground floor it offers a 700+ seat, fully air-conditioned dining space, whilst the top two levels are dedicated to Shrewsbury's pre-university Sixth Form Programme and award-winning Higher Education provision. Both areas - indeed the building as a whole - has been designed to offer a light, spacious and uncluttered environment for work and socialising, giving students and staff alike 'space to think'.
- 1,480sqm air conditioned Sports Hall
- Show courts for Baskteball (x2), badminton, volleyball and netball with retractable spectator seating and viewing gallery
- 340sqm Strength and Conditioning Zone
- 80sqm Spin Room
- 80sqm Yoga Studio
- Wash and Change Facilities
The new sports performance facility underlines both Shrewsbury's ambition for sustained success in competitive sport. It also demonstrates the school's commitment to providing sporting opportunities for all through a rich and varied co-curricular programme, and to nurture a positive culture of healthy, active lifestyles for everyone in our community.
The new sports hall will add 2 further basketball courts to the 3 courts located in the existing sports building, and we hope that the retractable spectator seating will make this a perfect base for the Thai national netball team (also one of Shrewsbury's fastest growing sports).
The vast 340sqm Strength and Conditioning studio was inspired by 'Powerbase' at Loughborough University; arguably the UK's top sporting University. Adding to the Yoga and Spin studios, which are sure to be popular across the community - the S&C zone will be equipped with an array of fixed and free equipment stations. These facilities will help athletes develop power and stamina to compete at the highest level of student sport. They will be guided by Shrewsbury's Strength and Conditioning professionals; an area of expertise where the school has committed significant investment in recent years and which is paying dividends across the spectrum of sporting ability - right up to our elite level national athletes.
The opening of the new Senior School building and Sports Performance complex in August 2021 will pave the way for the complete re-modelling of our existing Senior and Sports buildings over the following 3 years. Briefly this will include:
- Relocation of the Art Department next to the newly re-furbished Design Technology department to form a joint creative arts centre.
- Refurbishment of all Senior School classrooms, extension of the examination hall, and creation of a flexible performance/presentation space to supplement our existing recital hall and auditorium
- Air conditioning upgrade to the existing sports hall
- Indoor 4m climbing wall
- 6 bay golf simulator
- 300sqm indoor space for Pre-Prep P.E. and recreational play
Plans are also being finalised to refurbish the Pre-Prep and Prep school buildings and running track.
Recently completed PROJECTS
- Early Years Garden Remodel (7.9m THB, August 2020)
- Design Technology Centre (21.9m THB, August 2020)
- Reception, Shop, Marketing & Admissions (8.7m THB, August 2020)
- Central air conditioning and filtration system (5.8m THB, December 2019)
- School Library (21.3m THB, August 2019)
- School Medical Centre (3.8m THB, August 2019)
- Staff Room (7.9m THB, August 2019)