Shrewsbury International School Bangkok demonstrates its commitment to high quality international education through its accreditation by the Council of International Schools (CIS).
Throughout each 5-year accreditation cycle, the school works towards a development plan, addressing the action points raised in the previous inspection report. This ensures that our school is continually improving and in compliance with the best international education standards.
CIS School Evaluation and Accreditation is an evaluation process that drives the school’s continuous improvement, through:
- rigorous evaluation against internationally-agreed standards;
- a blend of support and challenge, focused on the school’s development; and
- a peer-based model that brings together international educators from across the world of CIS-accredited schools
CIS Accreditation confers an international recognition to schools all over the world. The status of international accreditation demonstrates the school’s commitment to high quality international education to the school community as well as to the outside world: prospective families, educational leaders and teachers as well as universities, embassies, other government departments, and global companies and organisations.
The CIS accreditation service has been reviewed by the National Association of Independent Schools’ Commission on Accreditation (US) and deemed in compliance with the criteria for effective accreditation practices. This facilitates the acceptance of students’ transcripts with colleges and universities in the United States.
Heads and teachers from CIS Member Schools play an active role as Peer Evaluators and Report Readers, assessing and evaluating the progress of schools at the Team Evaluation stage and over the rest of the accreditation cycle. The process is thereby enriched by the sharing of knowledge and effective practice, to the benefit of not only schools but also the peers involved in their evaluation.
CIS evaluation of the school is carried out in conjunction with inspection by ONESQA (Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment in Thailand). This process covers the specific national context, and ensures official recognition by the national ministry.
The School is also accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) which provides a gateway into the American education system. The school enjoys a very strong link with NEASC so as to facilitate the progress of graduates from Shrewsbury International to US schools, colleges and universities.
Characteristics of an Accredited School
The award of Accredited Status from CIS demonstrates that the school is aligned with the demanding CIS School Evaluation Standards. It shows that the school has achieved high standards of professional performance in international education and has a commitment to continuous improvement. In particular, the award of accreditation shows that:
- The school is devoted to its Mission and Vision for students, as expressed in its Guiding Statements.
- The schools focuses on the quality of teaching and the progress students make, their standards of achievement as well as the students’ safeguarding and well-being.
- The school is committed to the development of the students’ global citizenship.
- The school knows itself. It has thought deeply about the services it offers to students, family and community.
- The school is student-orientated. Its philosophy of education is suitable for the students on roll and encompasses the development of the whole individual.
- The school is constantly seeking to improve its performance in all areas in order to ensure it attains the desired learning outcomes for its students.
- The school plans strategically for the future. As part of the on-going nature of the evaluation process, accredited schools are continually planning future developments.
During their last inspection visit, CIS visitors noted the following strengths, and progress made, including:
- a dedicated, stable, staff and leadership;
- forward thinking governance;
- commitment to the spirit of accreditation.
Shrewsbury is a key affiliate member of:
- The Bangkok International Schools Athletics Conference (BISAC): the framework for all of our regular sporting seasons and fixtures
- The Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA): an expanding network of over 50 schools which provides competitive and collaborative opportunities for both students and staff.